Botox is the name most often used for various cosmetic and medical treatments performed by doctors using Botulinum toxin. Botox is a protein and neurotoxin produced by the bacterium Clostridium botulinum. Botox is one of the first brand names used for this prescription only treatment and is produced by Allergan.
In February 06, a licence was given for the use of Botox for some cosmetic treatments. Since then it has been re branded as Vistabel. Shortly after Galderma launched Azzalure In the UK. Vistabel and Azzalure both have a licence to treat frown lines (glabellar area) in the UK, other areas of the face can be treated off ‘licence’ and this has been done safely for over 20 years.
Botulinum toxin type A blocks impulses that cause the facial muscles to contract. The action is never permanent and wears of after 3 to 4 months.Facial lines are caused by repeated use of the facial muscles of expression such as squinting and frowning. Therefore reducing the amount of facial muscle movement causes lines to be softened.
Doctors have used Botulinum Toxin type A in medical practice for over 20 years for treatment of muscle spasticity in conditions such as cerebral palsy, dystonia and facial spasms. Botox has also been shown to improve headaches such as migraines when areas in the upper part of the face are treated and hyperhydrosis ( excessive sweating).
Data shows treatments are safe with a few short term side effects such as minimal bruising at the injection sites and minor headaches which are short lived. Some people worry that Botox may be dangerous, however administered in the correct manner by a skilled medical professional carries very little risk.
All our Botox treatments are performed by Dr Teri Johnson of M C Treatments.
Popular Botox treatments performed include:
- Frown reduction
- Brow Lift
- Forehead line reduction
- Crows feet smoothing
- Bunny line reduction
- Correction of asymmetrical eye brows and of facial features.
- smokers lines reduction
- Nasal tip elevation in cheshire with botox
- Chin crease reduction in knutsford with botox
- Reduction of cobblestone effect of chin in Nantwich with botox
- Reduction of excessive sweating from armpits and hands
Botox treatments not recommended in anyone who: o botox
- Is pregnant, trying to conceive or is breast feeding
- Suffers a neuromuscular disorder
- Has had a severe allergic reaction ( even though allergies to botox are rare)
If you are taking herbal or medical treatments you must discuss this our doctor before any treatment.
What should you do and not do after Botox?
- Do gently exercise the treatment areas by frowning, smiling and lifting the eyebrows to optimise your results
- Do not perform strenuous physical activity for 3 days
- Do not rub or massage the treatment areas as this may increase the risk of complications by spreading the product
- Do not take alcohol, aspirin and ibuprofen for 24 hours as they can increase the risk of bruising and swelling
What are the risks and side effects of Botox®?
- Small area of redness at treatment site lasting 2-3 hours (common)
- Bruising / swelling of treatment area (less common)
- Dull heavy sensation +/- occasional headache (less common)
- Ptosis (droop) of eyebrow or eyelid (rare)
botox cheshire, botox Crewe, Cheshire, botox nantwich cheshire, botox knutsford cheshire, botox sandbach cheshire, botox northwich cheshire